Del Mar Fairgrounds, Del Mar, CA - For the first time in the 6 year history of the Goodguys Editor’s Shootout AutoCross, a driver other than an employee of Camaro Performer’s Magazine won the competition! Car Craft Magazine’s Jeff Smith broke through for his first win in the race exclusive to magazine editors, running a three-lap average time of 58.037 seconds.
Eleven editors slugged it out, sliding sideways and mashing the throttle on a brilliant sunny Saturday during the ‘Shootout, held as a specialty event during the Goodguys 13th Meguiar’s Del Mar Nationals. Each editor was given 3 competition laps in three different entries; the Goodguys 2013 Ford Focus ST, the intimidating all-black Ridetech ’68 Camaro and the hi-revving Detroit Speed ’66 Mustang. The official placing’s were determined by combining all three lap times into one aggregate number.
Winner Jeff Smith had come oh-so-close in prior years, finishing runner up on several occasions. Turns out, he barely even made it this year. “I started driving down to Del Mar Saturday morning in my ’65 El Camino but the fuel pump died on the Sepulveda Pass. I had to get towed home, then take another car down there. It took forever. I thought there was no way I was going to make it in time but thankfully I got there with about 10 minutes to spare before the competition started. It was meant to be I guess. It feels good to finally win one for Car Craft!”
Final Results – Goodguys 6th Annual Editor’s Shootout AutoCross
1. Jeff Smith – Car Craft Magazine – 58.037
2. Wes Drelleshak – Classic Trucks Magazine – 58.236rte
3. Chad Reynolds – Bangshift.com – 58.284
4. Kirk Jones – Goodguys Gazette – 59.830
5. Steven Rupp – Camaro Performers – 60.534
6. Larry Callahan – ProTouring.com – 62.908
7. Mark Gearhart – Power Auto Media – 63.411
8. Jeffrey Gomez – SNOB Magazine – 64.934
9. Michael Harding – Power Auto Media – 71.822
10. Johnny Hunkins – Popular Hot Rodding – 72.330
11. Andreanna Ditton – Hotrodhotline.com – (Did Not Finish)